Auto Body Repair
and California Insurance Regulations
California Department of Insurance
Choice of Auto Body Repair Shops
You must decide where to take your car their automobile for repairs when it has been damaged by collision, vandalism, theft, or fire.
Some insurance companies maintain lists of “preferred” auto body repair shops. Therefore, an insurance company might recommend a particular collision repair shop.
When looking for an auto body shop you must decide where to take your car. Even though a shop has been recommended you can choose your own. Call us today! 909 884 2803
However, please remember that the consumer has the choice of which auto body shop to use. You do not have to use the insurance company’s preferred shop.
California insurance regulations contain specific requirements that insurance companies must follow. Consequently, each collision repair facility has to know how to work with this. The Fair Claims Settlement Practices Regulations require this in section 2695.8(e)
- They require that an automobile be repaired at a specific repair shop; or,
- They direct, suggest, or recommend that an automobile be repaired at a specific repair shop, unless,
- Require a claimant to travel an unreasonable distance either to inspect a replacement automobile, to conduct an inspection of the vehicle, to obtain a repair estimate or to have the automobile repaired at a specific repair shop.”
Under California Insurance Code §758.5
It says that an insurance company cannot require that an automobile be repaired at a specific repair shop. However, an insurance company can recommend that an automobile be repaired at a specific repair shop under the following conditions outlined by law:
- The consumer specifically requests a recommendation from the insurance company to an auto body repair shop.
- The consumer has been informed in writing of the right to select a repair shop of his or her choice.
- If the consumer agrees to use the recommended repair shop, the insurance company must restore the damaged vehicle to its condition prior to the accident or loss with no additional cost other than as stated in the policy or as otherwise allowed by law.
- If the company makes an oral recommendation to a repair shop, and it is accepted by the consumer, then the company must follow the oral recommendation with the prescribed written notice within five calendar days as specified by law.
Related Links for Auto Body Repair: